|Full name||International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers|
|Country||United States, Canada|
|Affiliation||AFL-CIO, CLC, ITF, IMF, IFBWW|
|Key people||R. Thomas Buffenbarger, president|
|Office location||Upper Marlboro, Maryland|
The IAM was formed in 1888 by 19 machinists meeting in a locomotive pit in Atlanta, Georgia calling themselves “The Order of United Machinist and Mechanical Engineers.” The organization remained secret for several years due to employer hostility toward organized labor. Despite the secrecy, the membership continued to grow thanks to “boomers”, men who traveled from place to place looking for work on the railroads. Within a year 40 locals were established. At that point machinists made 20 to 25 cents an hour for a ten hour day. In 1889 the first Machinist Union convention was held with 34 locals represented, in the chambers of the Georgia State Senate. Tom Talbot was elected “Grand Master Machinist” and the IAM monthly journal was started. Also, at the convention the union’s name was changed to “National Association of Machinists.” The next year, 1890, the first Canadian local, Local Lodge 103, was chartered inStratford, Ontario as well as locals in Mexico. Since The NAM had spread all over North America the union once again changed their name, this time to “The International Association of Machinists.” The national headquarters was then moved to Richmond, Virginia.